Warcross by Marie Lu - Book Review!

Book: Warcross
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Science Fiction
Page Count: 353
Personal Rating: 4/5


Emika Chen, a young teenager who has a knack for hacking, has bounced from foster home to foster home ever since her father passed away, but now that she's old enough to be on her own, she's a bounty hunter who roams the streets of NYC looking for her next catch. It's not an easy job, or one that's entirely safe, but it pays the rent and satisfies Emika's craving for adventure.
As the annual Warcross games begin (the worlds most advanced virtual reality), Emika accidentally hacks into the game while everyone in the world watches, and she instantly becomes famous overnight. While Emika thinks she's about to get busted, Hideo Tanaka, the young billionair who created Warcross, reaches out and throws her a curve ball. Instead of throwing her in jail, he's asked her to work for him, trying to catch another hacker who's trying to hack into the games. Although Hideo warns this job might be dangerous, neither realize how much is truly at stake.

This book started off slow *for me* and I'm thinking it's because I was still in the middle of a previous book hangover when I started! About half way through, I really started getting into the characters and the storyline, and at the end I was fully engulfed! This story has an exciting and adventurous plot with some pretty badass characters!

Emika Chen and Hideo Tanaka are the two strongest characters, in my opinion. Emika is young, independent and fierce. She knows exactly what she wants and how to get it, and she isn't afraid of a little adventure. Hideo is also independent and knows what he wants, but he's mysterious - and extremely attractive - and knows how to leave people guessing. I think it's pure gold when the two are together. I love Hideo's eyes for Emika, and watching all his walls crumble when they're around each other. Their romance is typical, I knew it was going to happen before they even met each other, but I like it that way. The story wouldn't have hooked me like it did if the romance hadn't been there.

I was NOT expecting the end, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it! I LOVE curveballs when I'm reading, so even though I wasn't crazy about the end, I loved the fact that I was surprised. If you've read Warcross, I'd love to hear your thoughts. What did you think of the ending? Do you agree or disagree with Hideo? I disagree, but can see where he was coming from. This story has an underlying theme of right and wrong, and why people are pushed to act certain ways. You discover layers of Hideo you didn't realize he had throughout the novel, so at the end you kind of understand why he's doing what he's doing. What I'd love to know is where the ending has left Ren and Zero? Are they really evil, or have the circumstances changed because of the revelation at the end?

I would recommend this book to others, and I honestly can't wait for the sequel to come out! Thanks for reading!

Comments