Lynn's 2018 New Years Resolution: Start a Blog!


Intro!
Hi guys! Ahh, I can't believe I'm actually sitting here writing my very first blog post! Creating a blog has always been something I've dreamed about doing, but, like most people, I never took the time to actually sit down and start one. Why, you ask? Work, school, life... you know, all those highly overrated (but also sometimes legit) excuses. But, as the new year began approaching, I started getting excited about all the things I would do differently in 2018 (I like to call this: The New Year High...everyone gets it) I told myself in 2018, I would stop making excuses, take time out of my day, and, well... start a blog!
So now, as I sit here eating my apple cinnamon granola bar while wearing my new PJ’s and slippers I got for Christmas, I ask myself… “What took me so long?!” I love reading, writing and everything in between, PLUS I can do it from the comfort of my own bed while stuffing my face?! I mean, come on! Nothing (and I mean nothing) gets better than that.

So, to kick things off, here are my top 5 reads from 2017! (Btw, I read a total of 41 books in 2017, so only being able to choose 5 was rather difficult.)
  1. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
  2. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
  3. The Infernal Devices (All 3… I couldn’t choose!)
  4. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
  5. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne & John Tiffany

(As these are not official book reviews, there won’t be any spoilers, but I promise to do more in-depth reviews of each of these books very soon!)

Caraval by Stephanie Garber! 5/5
Loved, loved, LOVED this book! The writing, the story line, the characters… it was all wonderful! Her style of writing is so creative, descriptive and unique. I was hooked from the beginning and two days later, I was staring at the last page wishing her squeal Legendary was out because I wasn’t ready to put it down. (I posted a picture to Instagram stating almost this exact statement and the author, Stephanie Garber, liked my post… fangirl moment!)

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins! 5/5
This book wasn’t planned, it was a spur-of-the-moment read, but a fantastic one at that! It was April and I was vacationing in LA. For some reason I was dumb and only brought one book with me (I was there for 10 days... someone please explain why I thought that would be enough????) Anyways, my boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend (try to keep up) let me borrow The Girl on the Train after I finished my other book (Twisted by Sara Shepard) and I’m so happy she did! I read this book, on vacation, in two days. I couldn’t put it down! Murder mysteries usually aren’t my favorite, mainly because most of them have obvious, cliché endings, but this one was different. I kept flip flopping between a handful of characters and even at the end, I was shocked!

The Infernal Devices (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince, AND Clockwork Princess)! 5/5
Sorry, I know choosing all 3 books is kind of cheating, but I couldn’t decide which one was my favorite! Let me start off with the author, Cassandra Clare. LOVE her! The Shadowhunter world she’s created is unlike any other and I could get lost reading her novels forever (For example, spending 3 months reading nothing but Cassandra Clare novels… The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, The Bane Chronicles, etc. Yea, that happened.) This series in particular stole my heart. Will, Jem, Tessa… need I say more? (Team Will *cough cough*) Don’t even get me started with the end of Clockwork Princess… I’m still not over it. I recommended this series to my mom and now she’s on the final book and she’s loving it as much as I do!

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh! 4/5
I was lucky enough to find this book (and the squeal- The Rose and the Dagger) in the bargain section at my local bookstore. I fell in love with the main character, Sharzad, immediately. She’s strong, brave, fearless and wildly independent. I also fell in love with Khalid, the mysterious murderer Caliph. I know this was a retelling of the famous “One Thousand and One Nights,” but she did it wonderfully. The only reason I gave this book a 4/5 was because I wasn’t crazy about how it ended (but I will say the sequel made up for it!)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne & John Tiffany! 4/5
Yes, yes, I know. Why did I put this book on my top 5? Because I loved it, that’s why! It might just be the fact that I’m a Harry Potter fanatic and I think everything J.K. Rowling touches is gold, but this book was actually enjoyable to me. The only negative was having to read it as a play write (which was why I gave it a 4/5), but once I got over that, it was easy sailing.



So there it is, my top 5! Like I said, choosing 5 out of 41 books was difficult (because honestly, I enjoyed 99% of the books I read in 2017.) I’d love to know your top 5 books of last year, so feel free to leave your answer in the comments below! Happy reading everyone!

Comments