Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Book Review!

Book: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Genre: Science Fiction
Page Count: 372
Personal Rating: 5/5

It was the year 2044 and the world had turned to shit. The only escape people had from their depressing reality was logging into a virtual utopia called OASIS, which had stolen the hearts and minds of society. On the day the creator, James Halliday, died, he posted a video (soon to be the most-viewed video of all time) explaining how he'd hidden an Easter Egg inside OASIS, and the first person who found it would win his entire fortune. Considering Halliday was the richest man alive, the world went crazy. People started spending hours upon hours logged into the game, exploring thousands of virtual worlds and trying to find clues leading to Halliday's famous Easter Egg.
Wade Watts,  one of many teens using OASIS as an escape from reality, (along with the rest of the world) spent five years searching for Halliday's hidden egg, but to no prevail.
Until one day-the first clue was found... and from that day forth, the race was on!

Guys, let me start off with saying I'm not a huge science fiction reader, but I LOVED this novel! This book was a gift to my boyfriend, but I picked it up and read the first page and couldn't put it down! I loved everything, from the 80's pop culture references down to the depth and creativity thrown into each world, each clue and each page of this book! It's hard to believe this was Ernest Cline's first published novel because his writing is so detailed and utterly perfect. I heard he's writing a sequel which makes me happy, and I'm way too excited for the movie to come out in March!

My favorite trio (after Harry, Ron and Hermione... of course) would have to be Parzaival, Aech and Art3mis! The relationship between the three (especially at the end) was perfect. Ogden Morrow was another character I ended up loving (to my surprise). I COULDN'T STAND Nolan Sorrento and the sixers. Every time they popped up I cringed, I just wanted them to disappear so Parzaival, Aech and Art3mis could look for the gates in piece (but then the story would be lacking an antagonist, I know I know).  

The detail Ernest Cline threw into this novel was incredible. Everything-down from a coin sitting on an old arcade game, to a poster hanging behind someone in an old photograph-had a reason for being there! All of his details grew into something larger at the end, adding up to the big picture and I'm in awe of how he accomplished it. As a writer myself, I know how difficult something like that can be, but he did it perfectly. Would 100% recommend this one! 

Sorry for not going into TOO much detail, I didn't want to give away any spoilers! If any of you have read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below! Thanks for reading!




Comments